Saturday, February 24

Love and Cherish cards set with Alicia Barry

Today I have created a sweet card set using stackable labels, words and leaves from Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts. I started with some vintage style background papers from the same collection, but in two different colour schemes. This means that they will co-ordinate together, but each stands alone as a piece of art.







 I wanted to create layers and dimension on the cards along with some texture, so to create this I have treated each chipboard layer with a different technique. The first layer of the Stackable Labels Shape Set pieces are inked with brown distress ink. This creates a matt finish that is fairly subtle. (tip: if you want to create a more vibrant colour effect using ink, paint the piece with gesso first).






The next layer is the plain label centre. For this I covered the piece in the same patterned paper as the background. This helps to create a cohesive flow across the project.

The next layer is the word from the 10 Words set. For this I used dimensional pearlescent paint which I painted on directly using the nozzle to ensure complete coverage. I kept the paint fairly think, and by pushing it around with the nozzle, I was able to create a great textured finish, along with the shimmer of the paint.






 The final layer was the Skeleton Leaves. This set is great value, as you can use the leaves as a full branch as seen, or separate them for a bunch of individual leaves. These were done as  a combination of the other techniques. First I applied ink to give some background coverage. I then added dimensional paint in two different shades, except this time I swiped it on with my finger to achieve a more variegated look. Finally I added some clear glitter glue across the top, before slightly shaping each piece and adhering to the card.

You'll notice that the rest of the card design is deceptively simple allowing the eye to focus on the chipboard cluster which I created off centre to make interesting use of the residual negative space.













Supplies used:




No comments: